Thursday, March 21, 2013

Thankful Thursdays: Family

So, I'm going to steal a page from my sister over at Quad Deuce Design and start a (hopefully) weekly series. Every Thursday, I'm going to tell you about something I'm thankful for, whether it be something big and grand such as family or being Christian, or something mundane like a book or even that cup of coffee I had that morning. But, beginnings are times to take the greatest of care, so we'll start of big.

I have the best family in the world. You're entitled to your own opinion, of course, but that doesn't change mine. They are all just incredibly awesome.

Since I metioned her already, I'll start with my sister, Marianne. A couple years older than me, she's a graphic designer with a publishing company up in Nashville, and is one of the most caring people you will ever meet. She is friendly despite several hardships she's been through recently, and is a strong Christian despite (or maybe in spite, or even because of) all that has happened. She's always busy, however, as she runs a stationery company on the side, Quad Deuce Design. She does awesome work, though; there's a reason we used her for my wedding not so long ago!

Next we'll come to my dad, Thomas. He is simply put the strongest man I know. Not in a physical sense, but in the ways that matter. He was always a pillar we could hold on to when troubles came when we were younger, strong in his faith. He did the best he could to help raise Marianne and me right, and I at least think he did a pretty good job. Enough so that when the worst happened, we were able to help support him as much as he supported us.

My mom, Theresa, died in 2009. I'll never forget how I felt when dad called me early that Sunday morning and told me. But that doesn't overshadow the memories I have of one of the kindest women you'll ever meet. My friends as we grew up all called her "Mama Callis", becuase she was a mom to them as much as to me, always being there for us and with us when she was able. She loved to give of herself, volunteering when she could, bringing food to the sick or even just as gifts from time to time because she loved it. I miss her dearly, but know that she's watching and caring for me still.

More recently, I've got someone else I can call family: my beautiful wife Alicia. We met at college, working in the same office on campus for a while. She is so kind and sweet, and a wonderful cook. She makes me feel better when I'm down, keeps me sane when I'm trying to fall apart, and keeps me honest when I don't do things I said I would. I love her so much, and sometimes still can't quite believe that she said yes.

So, anywho, there you have it: my family is amazing, and I can't believe how blessed I am to call them mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment