Monday, March 25, 2013

Spring

Ah, Spring. That wonderful time when everything blooms, new life springs forth from the earth and relieves the barren wastes of winter, banishing all thought of snow and ice in exchange for the sunshine and beauty that will be summer.

Well, in theory, anyway. This spring has so far been colder than the end of winter was, and with all the pollen in the air I could never really enjoy spring anyway. But that's neither here nor there (I promise, I haven't resorted to the weather already in this blog!)

This past weekend, my wife and I spent most of our time doing that dreaded thing that happens every spring in every house: spring cleaning. Just as the earth banishes the clutter of winter, so must we in our own homes. We put up new curtains, a new bookcase, got out new bedding, rearranged a room, and took out quite a bit of trash, and it made me realize just how much junk we accumulate in today's society.

I swear, every time I turn around there are new things to buy, new gadgets and accessories to look at and purchase. We just seem to be a space-filling culture: if there are more nooks and crannies that we can fill, we will. Makes me glad that we had the foresight to protect certain areas of wilderness, lest we build them over completely.

Of course, I'm a prime culprit - I collect little plastic army men for crying out loud. But maybe I should try more to moderate it, and keep it under control. Still more cleaning to do, so we'll see what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment