Saturday, March 30, 2013

What is in a name?

So, I bet some of you are wondering just what's up with the name of the blog. Void Missives? I mean, seriously, how pretentious can I sound, right?

Well, I chose the name for a couple of reasons. First up, I didn't really make the blog for any particular reason other than to try and shake out the mental cobwebs and get me writing for at least a little bit every day. May not be the fiction I'd like, may not be the length I'd like or even the quality, but I just need to actually put some words to the page every day. So Void Missives stands for the fact that I really didn't have any need for someone else to read these: letters (missives) sent out to the void, rather than a person.

Then I also knew that there would be some days when I really didn't have much to say, but I'm trying to say something anyway. Like today, I would guess. So Void Missives covers that another way: letters with no point, and so are void.

And then, because there's always a geeky angle, we come back to Warhammer. Messages sent back and forth between the planets of the Imperium are sent via astropaths, people who connect with each other psychically across the Warp. While it's not canon anywhere I've seen, I thought that Void Missives would be a nice, poetic way to describe the letters sent back and forth between the planets.

And so there you have it. Never just one meaning when three will do, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment