Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Release Week!

Fire Warriors head into battle
So, I know many of my readers aren't Warhammer players. And to you, I'm sorry; I'm so, so sorry.

Because as I kinda mentioned last week, one of my favorite armies, the Tau Empire, release this week. And man, am I excited.

The previous book was released in 2006 (I started playing the next year) at a time when the codicies were mostly just the army lists, a few pages of pictures and maybe a couple pages of fluff, or storyline. So while the Tau race is always described as an energetic and vibrant young species in contrast to the elder human Imperium and the ancient Eldar, comparatively little is known about the Tau culture.

Modern codices, on the other hand, are over a hundred pages, about half of which is fluff. While I expect a decent amount of story that we've already seen in the previous book, I'm looking forward to finally getting to know a little more about the Empire. From what I've heard, there is a large dose of Imperial China and Japan in how they operate, which pleases me to no end.

One key difference, however, is how they fight. While most cultures favor short range, hand-to-hand combat as the more honorable and more dignified, the Tau turn that on its head. They see hand-to-hand as something bestial, a form of combat practiced by animals and those who are more like them. Ranged combat is the preferred method, the method practiced by civilized societies and by honorable men (if you'll forgive the general use of the term).

So like I said, I'm really excited to get the new fluff, in addition to the new rules. Tomorrow, I think I'll take some pictures of my Tau army as it stands now, and post them for you to see. Stay tuned! You'll get to see my painting skills next.

No comments:

Post a Comment