Thursday, April 4, 2013

Thankful Thursday: Opportunity Knockin'

First off, an editor's note: I had every intention of doing a post with army pictures yesterday, but was unable to do so due to other commitments and the need to actually be rested before a job interview today. So many apologies, but I shall get that post completed this afternoon if all goes well.

So, speaking of that job interview we come to my weekly Thankful Thursday, where today it's gotta be Opportunity. Y'see, I work in the television industry. You may think "Oh, wow, you're on TV? That must be so awesome and give you a great paycheck!"

You'd be wrong. Very wrong.

I work on the production side, doing the morning shift at a local tv station. So what I get instead are long hours, odd hours, stressful moments of sheer terror when things don't quite go as planned, and a dismal paycheck as a reward. But television is something I've always wanted to do, something that I enjoy. I find it rewarding to put a production together, and when it comes together successfully.

I've volunteered with the television ministry at local churches wherever I've been since I was in middle school, and that's where I picked up the bug. Being a part of something like that is an amazing thing, being able to send the service out across the air to wherever it may need to go, to whomever needs to hear it. And to be honest, media ministry is where my heart lies, but working in tv news is great training, discovering what it takes to make a truly exceptional broadcast day in and day out.

Now, because of that dismal paycheck, I wouldn't be able to do this if I was living on my own. But my wife is an amazing woman as I've already discussed, and we make do like we are now. I don't know how we do it, but she's keeping the books in order and making sure we don't starve. I know it's stressful on her, and I don't thank her enough for it, but she's letting me pursue my dreams, and so I really need to thank her again when I get home.

But now I've got an interview for another job here at the station, one that's full time, pays more, gives me benefits, the works. The hours still bite, and it's still not an amazing paycheck, but it's something. Hopefully it's a stepping stone onto something else, or maybe the Lord has something better in mind for later. But for now, I'm simply thankful for the opportunity to try, and for everything He's done to make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment