Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Thoughts and Impressions from the Tau Empire

First off: I posted a new video on YouTube! Called the Strategy Guide, it should be the first in a monthly series of videos trying to give tips to intermediate level tabletop players, learning to apply higher-order skills than just the basic rules. Go check it out, I did the voice over for it this month and even show up in a shot! Check it out if you've got five minutes.

Anyway, I finally got in a game with my new Tau, and have to say I was duly impressed with them when I finally got a few things down with them. Not everything worked as intended, though, and so we'll give the rundown here, in no particular order, of the things I have learned thus far.

  1. The Riptide has to be shepherded closely. Using the Ion Accelerator, I managed to kill precisely nothing with this model across the four turns of the game. Twice he burned himself with his own weapon, despite having to roll two 1's in a row to do that. The other two shots scattered so wildly that it was more than a little rediculous; fortunately, he didn't hit my own troops with those either. He obviously either needs to just fire the normal mode or switch to the burst cannon option, but more testing is required to see if the model is truly cursed.
  2. Markerlights are AMAZING when used in close concert with your men. I managed to destroy a Razorback, a combat squad and Ulrik the Slayer with only a few units because of markerlights boosting ballistic skill and the high rate of fire offered by burst cannons and Ethereal backed Fire Warriors (more on that in a minute). It's a touch tricky getting the order down right on how to fire all your markers, though, so I still need to work on my shooting order and target priority.
  3. Related to the markerlight note, the two flyers in this codex simply aren't worth it. They are nice little planes and have good abilities, but they compete for spots in the army with Pathfinders, which are the primary way to get markerlights in the army. Were there a way to make Pathfinders troops, we would likely see the flyers hit the table, but as it stands the opportunity cost is simply too high on them.
  4. Ethereals are fantastic for what they cost. 50 points nets you a 12" Ld 10 bubble to anchor your firing line with and confers Stubborn to the unit he's attached to, which are both nice abilities in and of themselves. However, he also has his Invocation of the Elements ability, which is simply amazing. I used it to good effect in this Relic game, allowing a Fire Warrior squad to move forward towards the objective, and then run and still snap fire (which my markerlights made back into normal or better shooting), getting to the objective first. Then as the eneemy closed in I could increase the output of my Fire Warriors by 50%, mopping up squads with relative ease. Definitely worth it.
I'm going to try and get a few more games in over the next couple of weeks, and we'll see if that backs up my assertions.

No comments:

Post a Comment